Saturday, February 2, 2008

Halfwheeling

Two days of great training completed.

On Friday we had our first 800m TT in the pool. The first time you do a hard effort of a new distance, one of two things will happen. Either you nail it the first time, or you can look forward to nailing it the second time. I'm looking forward to the next one.

We rolled out of Commonwealth Place with a large (by Friday ride standards) and in charge cycling posse comprised of Sharpie, JP, Scotty, Andrew, and Myself. Our highly intimidating gang rocked a 120' base ride of the waterfront variety.

My favourite part about the waterfront loop is Dallas/Beacon Hill when it's wet and windy. Riding along Dallas road into a strong headwind with rain pelting your face feels great. There's nothing fresher than that. Be the wind and go.

Our run was on the UVIC track. The leg speed is coming. How you feel is irrelevant, just keep working 110%. Decide to feel and be strong.

This morning's encouraging quote came from Jeff "Prefontaine" Phillips. After hearing the workout I quietly said to myself, "I'm not sure if I can make the 50's back/free on 45seconds." JP heard me and replied, "Well Stevo, today you will." Simple as that. We did it no problem.
Thanks JP. That's what I'm talking about.

Our ride was just around the 4h mark, with a 15minute run off the bike. Today I learned a new cycling term, that is "Halfwheeling," or "Halfwheeler." A halfwheeler is someone who rides half a wheel length in front of the person next to them. This causes the pace to gradually rise as each rider matches the leading riders half-wheel-ahead pace.

Brent, Andrew, and Scotty . . . Thanks for a great ride.

I think I may unknowingly (now knowingly) be a bit of a halfwheeler.

Nice training today. Time for a snooze.

Rest well.

No comments: