Friday, April 17, 2009

HPR360WEEKEND

First I made friends with kick sets, then band swimming. Swim breathing patterns and I are officially on the same team.

It happened during today's straight swim set, (2 x 1000m). First one breathe: 3, 5, 3, 7, 3, 9, 3, 11 by 50m, next one choice. By the time I was 800m through the first k, I knew what my choice would be. More breathing patterns.

Turns out the trick is to breath out.

Having grown up as a land creature, I have previously become accustomed to breathing in at will.

In the relatively new and alien aquatic environment, breathing in naturally becomes a primary focus. On occasion I forget to notice if in fact I am breathing. I believe this forgetful moment is when I truly experience swimming.

A focused breathing routine becomes almost mantric in nature, thus intentionally shifting the focus both inward & outward.

In any case, swim breathing patterns are now my friend.

HPR 360 weekend starts tomorrow!

Rest well.

No comments: