Monday, July 21, 2008

Observation

Preflection begins as we plan the future. What will the body feel, see, hear, taste, and smell?

Forward to a new moment, and we observe the body in the exact same matter as we expect to experience. This is what will be; and as far as present thought is concerned, this is what is.

Now is, as we are now. What does the body feel, see, hear, taste, and smell? Ok, that's the bodies now. What is my now? Where is my now? My now is right now, right here.

Reflection begins as we return to the past. What did the body feel, see, hear, taste, and smell?

Back to a previous moment, and we observe the body in the exact same manner as was experienced. This is what was; and as far as the present thought is concerned, this is what is.

The experience is the same whether observed before, now, or after. The key seems to be awareness of our presence in the experience.

Our race was yesterday morning and I have yet to bother finding the results. Eventually I will find them online, but before the experience is impacted by numbers, the plan is to understand a little more. After all, each of us were there for the duration.


We had a solid bike warm up and some good drills / strides on the kicks. I like to spend at least 30-40 minutes on the bike to allow the big logs to catch fire. Adding a little speed and stretching in the run warm up seems to prepare a few sparks for later on in the day. Keep the body cool, loose, and relaxed.

Swim warm up. . . Well, I did manage to throw on the wetsuit before the starting whistle, but that was about it for an upper body warm up. Big time oops.

I remember a few years ago my number one concern was finishing and therefore warm up was out of the question. "Are you kidding me? That's just a waste of my energy." Now I am quite sure I can swim 1500m without stopping, and know how important a proper warm up is.

Yesterday was a pre-race timing miscalculation.

The 1st 750m taught me a lesson I will always remember. WARM UP YOUR SHOULDERS AND ARMS!!! Lesson learned.

I settled in pretty well for a ride. I think I was a little conservative on the 2nd 1/2, knowing the run would be hilly. Next time leave a little more out there.

The run was decent. I felt good turning around at 5K and was able to open the stride down towards town.

As always, Penticton hosted a great event. Thanks to all who were involved to create a fantastic day. I am already looking forward to next years race.

Great dinner yesterday evening with 2 local celebrities: the one and only Jonnyo, and this years Peach Classic winner, Jeff Symonds. Sweet race buddy. Thanks for the hosting hospitality.

Time for a flush swim and drive home.

Rest well.

No comments: